Tuesday, October 30, 2012

my absolutely essential I couldn't live without it crafting gadget

Do you have a nifty little crafty gadget you can't live without?
I don't mean like a sewing machine or something obvious like your knitting needles.
I mean something that's not really considered a necessary gadget for your craft, but for you it is.. absolutely.

I'm sure if I thought hard enough I'd have quite a few.

But my utter favourite and definitely couldn't live with out gadget is my flash-ass depiller.


I love this baby so so much.
It's electric, which means it's got some kick-ass guts to it. But not too much.

If, like me, the general recipients of your knitteds are rough little nuts who go hard. Or if you love certain yarns that do tend to pill like crazy (I'm looking at you WOOLganics and Malabrigo Worsted!!!); this baby is for you. It seriously makes knits look like new again!

Tobes, in particular, goes hard.  Check out his normal treatment of his clothes..


All that rolling around in the grass and rubbing himself along the ground like a tiger creates a very pilly WOOLganics cardie. I tried to take some photos today but it was a wee bit bright and I'm not sure you'll see how bad it is. I might try and get some better shots of the worst of it tomorrow.


I'm partway through depilling this baby, picking Lily up from school got in the way. I shall finish it tomorrow and take some after photos. And blow me away, it will look like new again! gotta love that!


P.S. Link to the retailer where I bought my electric lint remover; The Fabric Care Company.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation at all with this company, just love their product.

8 comments:

  1. can't wait to see those photos :) looks like "every knitter must have it" gadget :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make fun of my mom for going over everything with her "fuzzy shaver". I thought it was some completely unnecessary OCD thing. Now I have been keeping my eyes open for one so I don't have to keep picking at everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get it from? My little battery powered one just doesn't cut the mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Fabric Care, they're and Australian company.

      Linky here: http://www.fabriccare.com.au/cart.php?target=product&product_id=316&category_id=60

      Delete
  4. What are these babies called? I badly need one. My kids are also very hard on their knits and they start looking terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I added the link above for the Australian company I got mine from.

      But if you google electric lint remover, you should find one :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, I have one of these as well and it's AMAZING! It makes such a difference!! I had stopped wearing lots of my beautiful handknits because they were all pilled and looked old and ragged... got a "fuzzy shaver" (Amy, that is the best name for it! :-) and now all my handknits are pretty again!
    As for non traditional crafting essentials... bobby pins. I seem to use them a lot for various things. They make good stitch markers for crochet especially, as you can just slip them in and out of your work easily and quickly etc and they're cheap and plentiful :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)