Friday, February 18, 2011

my cake and a morning of zucchinis

Do you have a cake that's your signature cake? A recipe you return to again and again, knowing that it never ever fails you. I'm sure those who bake regularly have many of them, but honestly I'm not a big baker. I like to bake with the kiddies and whip up the occasionally cake but I don't do it on a regular basis. I just don't seem to have the time. This year I'm going to try and make the time though.

This is my signature cake:
(sans icing)




I first made this cake in Home Eco at high school quite some time ago. And it was an instant success. I love this cake so much, I've baked it regularly ever since.

It's a zucchini carrot yoghurt cake.

I think what appeals to me is the sweet mix of cake and vegetables. It's not sickly or over sweet or even too savory. It's just perfect and oh-so moorish , as my sister Megsie from pint will attest to. She's been bugging me for the recipe lately, I guess it's that zucchini glut time of year.

Usually, this cake has some icing but in my typical caviler approach to baking, I ran out of margarine and won't be able to ice it until after I pick Lily up from school. Quite conveniently, we walk home past the supermarket.

So do you want to know the recipe? Or should I just tease Megsie by posting pics with no recipe??? Oh so cruel that would be!

Here goes: Be warned, this is terribly easy and extremely yummy!


ZUCCHINI CARROT YOGHURT CAKE

Ingredients

250 grams butter/margarine
2 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup zucchini coarsely grated
1/2 cup carrot grated
1/3 cup plain natural yoghurt
2 cups SR flour (sifted)

Methods

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Stir in zucchini, carrot and yoghurt; then sifted flour.

Spread mixture into a well greased 20cm ring tin. Bake in moderate oven (180*C) for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested.

Stand for a few minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

Ice with butter icing.

BUTTER ICING:
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbs butter/margarine
4 drops vanilla 2tsp liquid (if needed)

Sift icing sugar. Cream butter and add icing sugar gradually.
Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Add the liquid if a softer icing is required.

And because it is a zucchini glut time of year, Toby and I also made these mini carrot and zucchini muffins this morning.

Oh my gosh!!! They are soooo good. The secret ingredients that make these little babies so awesome are poppy seed and wholemeal flour. Oh so yum! I think these may become a regular for the school lunch box...if I can hide them from Toby.





and what would a morning of zucchinis be without some zucchini soup, made from my mum's recipe with a massive zucchini from her garden .






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. sounds yummy, i've saved this recipe to try soon, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like these sorts of recipes because, in spite of fat and sugar content, the kids are getting a bit of veg in their diets lol. I have a similar, super-easy carrot cake recipe. Thanks for sharing. Going to give it a go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding this recipe to my repertoire. I made it up today in a lamington tin. Kids didn't even know that they were eating vegies :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear from you, so say hi when you drop in :)